My work explores the dynamic tension between chaos and order and is expressed via multiple media.
Scientific theory tells us that there can be no life in a state of absolute chaos (the center of the sun, for example) or a state of absolute order (absolute zero). Life cannot thrive when there is too much order or when there is too much chaos. This is true in everything we experience in the world- in organizations, in our relationships with one another, and in our relationship with ourselves- too much chaos or too much order engenders destruction.
These ideas are explored in my paintings, photographs, films, 3-D printing and glasswork.
The gorgeous and dangerous atomic chaos of molten glass becomes a beautiful, stable and useful bowl with the introduction of cooling or reordering of molecules. Similarly, the photographs capture scenes of urban and rural decay…or is it regeneration? Buildings erected to impose order and utility are marked by chaos and decline, but look closely and you see life thriving in the spaces ‘in between’.
We live in an era of staggering change. This work explores the excitement, questions, challenges, opportunities and loss we experience as we move forward into a new world.
Galleries, Exhibits and Presentations
|2013 –||Landings Gallery, Rockland, ME, winner “Best in Maine” – From Bits to Its, 3-D Printing exhibit|
|2011 –||present, “Will Barnet, Tracing the Soul of the Work”,documentary film
PBS-TV, Channel 13, NYC – ongoing airings
Art Students League, NYC
Little Rock Arts Center, Little Rock, AK
National Academy Museum, NYC
|2009 –||Aarhaus Gallery, Belfast, ME|
|2008 –||Pecha Kucha, Portland, ME|
|2007 –||ArtSpace Gallery, Rockland, ME|
|2006 –||The Bakehouse Art Complex, Miami, FL|
|2006 –||Estefano Gallery, Miami, FL|
- Smith College – BA
- University of Connecticut – MA
- New York Institute of Technology – Architecture (1 year)
- Executive Producer – independent documentary film production
- CEO – Folkworks – early internet based market and resource for New England artists and artisans;
- Private Practice, Psychotherapy – licensed independent clinical social work
- University of Massachusetts Medical Center – Associate Director, Social Services
- University of Massachusetts Medical School – guest lectures
- Massachusetts Department of Health and Human Services – Clinical Instructor
Great Brook Valley Medical Center – Director, Child & Family Mental Health Center
- Partner – Winsnow Designs
- Farnsworth Art Museum – Board of Trustees